Hardware and software installation
Another question that we often get asked is ‘Do you do hardware and software installation in Melbourne?’ – Of course, we do!
What is hardware and software installation?
Hardware and software installation is the process of configuring hardware and software within a computer application or system. Hardware is any type of physical component that can be connected to or inserted into the device in order for it to function properly. Many pieces of hardware are enclosed in their own individual cases with external connections made by cables.
The installation of hardware is the process of installing physical components into a computer or another electronic device. This also includes configuring motherboard jumpers or DIP switches, enabling and disabling integrated components, plugging in cables, etc. The installation of software is the process of putting data onto some kind of storage so that it can be accessed by other devices. Both are important elements required for the correct functioning of any given hardware or software product being used these days. They are also quite easy to perform.
Let us take a look at both processes in more detail below. Are you a gamer? If yes, hardware and software installations are going to be a huge part of your life.
Hardware installation is undertaken by a professional PC technician or even the owner of the hardware product themselves. Specialties include connecting cables between motherboard components as well as installing hard drives, optical drives, and other devices inside a computer case. Graphic cards, sound cards, and many other integrated elements have been installed manually for years now due to their size not being convenient for inclusion in cases. These days most people opt for external cases that are specifically designed for small form factor products made by Asus or MSI or any other manufacturer you prefer. You can also check out our article about the best gaming computers on the market here written by one of our members who his an expert in this field.
Manual vs pre-installed
When it comes to the installation of hardware you basically have two options – manual installation or pre-installed computer cases that are usually bought as a part of system bundles. You can also browse through our article about the most trusted brands in different fields of technology here before making your next purchase, but be aware that all computers are bound with certain guarantees even though they’re opened by an authorized dealer. If you need help with the setup process there’s nothing wrong with asking for help over at our forum, where people are more than happy to share their knowledge and experience on any subject imaginable. Most problems related to software installation are caused by incompatibility issues between devices, drivers, and other services included alongside each program which can be easily solved by choosing the right model beforehand.
If you are an inexperienced user who has never installed hardware or software on his/her computer, be aware that all computers are bound with certain guarantees even though they’re opened by an authorized dealer. If you need help with the setup process there’s nothing wrong with asking for help over at our forum, where people are more than happy to share their knowledge and experience on any subject imaginable. Most problems related to software installation are caused by incompatibility issues between devices, drivers, and other services included alongside each program which can be easily solved by choosing the right model beforehand.
Computer Technicians provide these services apart from procuring computer hardware and software.
Why do I need it?
Hardware and software installation is required every time you want to use a new program, update an operating system, install a printer, connect to the internet, and many other processes that require additional hardware and/or software settings. Without proper installation, your device may not run properly or at all. That’s why it’s important!
How to install hardware and software on your computer?
Note: This guideline does not apply to all devices, as some may have very specific installation instructions.
Before you install any hardware or software, it is important that you turn off your computer and restart it in order for the changes to take effect. You should also save all of your work before starting the process just in case something goes wrong during installation and your device becomes entirely unusable. If you are unsure about how to turn off your computer.
Once you have turned off your computer and restarted it, follow these guidelines after reading through all documentation provided with the device:
1) Connect the external connections – For example, a printer will require an Ethernet cable connected to one port on your router and then one of the device’s ports connected to the other port on that router. All printers require additional power, so you will need an adapter that can supply enough for your device. Some also have software installed on your computer during installation which makes this process go much faster and more smoothly than it would otherwise
2) Install any required software – This is usually available on a disc or on the website through which you ordered it. Most new devices come with detailed instructions on how to install any required programs or extra drivers, but if using a program on CD, be sure to check for any special instructions prior to running the program. For example, some may ask you to connect an external device before they run in order for updates to work properly
3) Connect the hardware and turn on your computer – If you ordered extra cables, install them in the appropriate ports for best performance; if you ordered an external device such as a printer, plug it into the wall and then connect it to your computer. Then turn on your computer and go through any necessary installation windows in order to complete this process
4) Complete required steps or follow prompts to finalize software or drivers installation
5) Reboot your computer – Sometimes hardware or software installations require that you restart your computer before they can take full effect. If so, do so at this time. In some cases, you may have to reboot two times before everything is working properly, but usually not more than that
6) Troubleshoot – Some of the hardware or software installations may not be successful the first time. When this happens, you will need to go back and try again. If it is still unsuccessful after two tries, check your computer’s documentation for help troubleshooting issues with specific applications.
Hardware installation checklist
Below is a detailed checklist for installing new hardware on your computer. It is a good idea to check these items before you begin any installation just to ensure that you have all the necessary software and accessories.
- Install driver(s) included with the hardware
- Install latest drivers from manufacturer’s site
- Power down the computer
- Unplug the power, phone/network cables from the back of the computer
- Ensure the case is open
- Remove memory modules
- Remove the battery
- Slide out the hard drive
- Plug in AC adapter
- Attach AC adapter
- Replace the main cover
- Verify AC voltage at the wall socket
- Reconnect network cable
- Turn on the computer
Software installation checklist
Here are some important points you should watch out for when installing software onto your computer:
- Check whether you’re using the trial version of your OS. If so, try to activate it before proceeding with the installation process
- Download only from trusted sources or offline installation programs
- Disable all antivirus programs beforehand if possible, since they might interfere with the setup process
- Enable administrator access on your OS after downloading and before starting the installation
Troubleshooting guide for common problems
Many things can go wrong during hardware and software installation, but using the checklist can help:
- Know what you’re doing: Do some research before you install any hardware or software on your computer. Know if there are special requirements, such as installing it from a CD-ROM drive instead of from a download location, or specifying a completely different language during installation.
- If you have trouble with the installation process, it is sometimes helpful to uninstall the product first to ensure that all components necessary for reinstallation have been removed.
- Make sure your computer meets minimum system specifications before continuing with an installation.
- Learn how to navigate in Windows’ Control Panel where drivers can be manually installed or updated.
- Check that your video card is supported by the application you wish to install.
- Uninstall or disable any antivirus or anti-malware programs that may interfere with the product installation.
- You just need to remove old drivers and install new ones in their place, which ensures your device stays up-to-date and works properly.
If you are home or business owner, get in touch with one of our technicians for computer setup services in Melbourne.