6 Troubleshooting Tips When Your PC Monitor Has No Signal
Have you experienced a situation where you turn on your computer on, and you see an annoying ‘No signal” banner flashed across the whole screen?
Before getting your system to the service center or a technician look into it, you could try some steps to make your system work without the help of an IT professional.. You may ask how to fix no signal on a computer monitor, but I believe this article will help you to resolve the issue easily.
If you are getting a no signal on your computer, then it could be for various reasons such as you may have a fault with your computer, or there could be an issue with the graphics card, or cable problems, or even wiring problems. To fix the issue, you need to find out which component is defective starting from the cables that are attached to the monitor.
If you are facing any monitor signal problems, then it doesn’t mean that you need to look for a new monitor as most kinds of monitor issues can be resolved. If the monitor is at fault, then the monitor will light up and there will be weird images or bright colors or some scratchy images on the screen.
Here are the 6 troubleshooting tips to deal with a computer that has no signal and how to fix a ‘no signal’ on a computer monitor.
- Check the cables
Sometimes the cable that connects the computer to the monitor may also cause a problem. There are three computer monitor cables which are;
- VGA (the cable with a bright blue and end with 15 pins)
- DVI (white end with multiple pins)
Certain monitors have all three ports. There could be an issue with only 1 port such as the VGA port – so make sure you try connecting the computer to other ports of the computer such as DVI or HDMI with the appropriate cable of course.
- Update your graphics driver
Sometimes even a faulty or incompatible graphic driver can also cause a problem, so you need to update the graphic driver that can be done in two ways:
If you want to update the graphic driver, then it can be done manually by visiting the manufacturer’s site and search for the latest drivers for your graphic card. But make sure that the driver is compatible with the Windows system.
Sometimes people won’t have enough time to update the graphic driver manually, so for those here are the automatic steps.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run the program and click scan now, it will scan the computer and detect if there is any issues or driver updates.
- Then click the update option, it will automatically download the right version and then install it manually. Or click update all as it will install the correct version of all the drivers or that is out of date in your system
- Reset the monitor
This tip will be suitable for only particular monitors, as some monitors will come with a factory reset option while the others don’t have this option. Just open your menu and there you will find the factory reset option and that would reset the monitor into the factory settings and it will revert to the default settings.
If you don’t have a reset option, then disconnect the monitor from the power outlet – You need to unplug your monitor from the power source and wait for few minutes. Then plug the monitor back into the power source and once the computer is turned on, check whether the monitor issue persists.
- Disconnect all the unnecessary external devices
If your monitor has connected to other external devices like a home theatre system or gaming console then remove those devices. At times, connected devices can cause monitor issues. it is possible to have malfunctioning device cables, so remove those cables immediately.
If your monitor works as a secondary monitor, then remove the monitor from the setup and connect it to another computer if you are still facing issues. If it is working as a primary monitor, then there could be something wrong with the monitor setup.
- Check if the graphic card is inserted properly in the slot
You need to check if the graphic card is properly inserted in the slot, for this tip follows these steps;
- Turn off the computer and disconnect all the cables and devices attached to your computer
- Open the computer case to locate the graphic card
- Remove the graphic card from the motherboard and insert it firmly
- Now plug the power cable back to the computer and then connect it to the PC
- Hold the power button from 30 seconds to 1 minute and then connect the power cord back, turn it now
- Make sure you have selected the right input source
If you didn’t select the right input source, then your monitor could show a ‘no signal’. Before you get into the process of choosing the right input source for your monitor, you need to know what kind of ports and PC your monitor has.
Here are the few instructions that will let you know to find out the right input source if you don’t know how to:
- Make sure that both your monitor and PC has turned on
- Press the menu button on the edge of the computer
- Navigate to the Input Source option and select the correct input source
For example, if you have connected your monitor to the DVI port then you need to set the input source as DVI.
Hope the above few steps solves the ‘no signal’ issue on your monitor. In case if it doesn’t or you are not confident to attempt the above steps – kindly give us a call and our technicians will be glad to assist you with the issue.
Related: Pc Monitor No Signal After Sleep